Friday, February 20, 2009

Recipe Friday

Okay y'all, I was in a John Wayne/Johnny Cash mood yesterday and it has been held over until today. I am wearing chukkas and jeans and I have a new haircut and the lady at the tax office loved my hair color  (na na na na na Will!!!). So, the recipe for today is my famous pinto beans b/c I am wanting some serious BBQ!!! I know, I know, how famous can they be if you've never heard of them? Let's just say Will says they are better than his mom's. And that's saying something!!! hehe!

Pinto Beans

1 pound package sausage (I use homemade sausage but the store bought stuff will work)
1 pkg. salt pork sliced
1 small bag of pinto beans
1 medium onion, chopped (I put mine in the food processor so there are no onion chunks for Will to pick out and complain about)
1/2 bulb garlic smashed in the garlic press (more or less depending on how much you like garlic)
Chili powder, salt, pepper to taste (go easy on the salt b/c of the salt pork and sausage)

Put all in a crock pot and cover with water (I add water almost up to the rim of the crock b/c the beans will absorb lots of water). Cook on low 24 hours or 12 hours on high. If I am putting them on one night and want them for supper the next night, I put it on low. If I am putting them on the morning for that night, I put the crock pot on high.

Make a pan of cornbread (I use Martha White's Mexican cornbread mix) and you have a whole meal!!

No comments: